Barba, Alvaro Alonso
- 1. Dates
- Born: Spain, c. 1569 (According to Rodriguez Carracido, 15 Nov. 1569.)
- Died: Peru, 1662
- Dateinfo: Birth Uncertain
- Lifespan: 93
- 2. Father
- Occupation: No Information
- No information on financial status, although it is almost impossible not to believe that the family was poor.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Spanish
- Career: Spanish colonial
- Death: Spanish colonial
- 4. Education
- Schooling: No University
- There is no mention at all of university education.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Catholic
6. Discipline: metallurgy.
- From observations in Peru, he developed the slightly earlier crude amalgamation process into the one that lasted.
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: None
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: 7. Support: Church Living
- Barba was a priest in the Catholic church by 1588, the time of the first information about him.
- Sent to Peru in 1588, where he spent life as priest.
- From 1624, served in Potosi, apparently at the request of Juan de Lizarazu, Pres. of the Real Audiancia de la Plata of Peru; he wrote his book, El arte de los metales, at the urging of Lazarazu. Dedicated the book to Lazarazu. It was published in Spain at the royal press, I assume through the support of Lazarazu.
- He returned to Spain in 1658 to advise on extraction of metals; he was very critical of government's policy on this in Spain; he returned to America in 1662 and died.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Governmental Official
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Metallurgy
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- Gran enciclopedia RIALP.
- José Maria Lopez Piñero, et al., Diccionaria historico de la ciencia moderna en España, 2 vols. (Barcelona: Ediciones Peninsula, 1983). Lopez Pinero, Ciencia y tecnica en la sociedad espanola de los siglos XVI y XVII, (Barcelona: Labor, 1979).
- J.E. Munoz, "Alvaro Alonso Barba," Anales de la Universidad Central de Quito, 93 (1964), 241-55.
- Modesto Bargallo, La mineria y la metalurgia en la American espanola durante la epoca colonial, (Mexico, 1955), especially pp. 223-5.
- Jose Rodriguez Carracido, "Alvaro Alonso Barba," Estudios historico-criticos de la ciencia espanola, 2nd ed. (Madrid, 1917), pp. 169-84.
- Not Available and Not Consulted
- J.R. Mourelo, "Un libro famoso (El Arte de los metales de A. Alonso Barba)," Revista de4 la Academia de Ciencias, 29 (1932), 9-52.
- E. Portela, "Aspectos tecnologicos modernos en la obra metalurgica de Alvaro Alonso Barba," Estudios sobre la ciencia en la España de la contrreforma, (Valencia, in press in 1979). I find mention of a dissertation in Spain by Jose M. Barnados on Barba, which was not published at the time of the reference.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue cannot answer email on geneological questions.