Cortes de Albacar, Martin
- 1. Dates
- Born: Bujaraloz, Spain, at unknown date. It is known only that he went to Cadiz before 1530.
- Died:before 1582.
- Dateinfo: Dates uncertain
- Lifespan: unknown
- 2. Father
- Occupation: Unknown
- He claimed that his father was of an ancient and noble family.
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Spanish
- Career: Spanish
- Death: Spanish
- 4. Education
- Schooling: No University
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Catholic (assumed)
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Navigation
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Unknown
- Cortes was, according to his own statement, the offspring of an ancient and noble family of Aragon. That is all that is known, if that is in fact known.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Court
- One of the few things known about Cortes is that he dedicated his influential book on navigation, Breve compendio de la esfera to Charles V.
- Navarrete says the Cortes sent a copy of the work to Juan Parent, a patrician of Valencia.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Navigation
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- José Maria Lopez Piñero, et al., Diccionaria historico de la ciencia moderna en España, 2 vols. (Barcelona: Ediciones Peninsula, 1983). Jose Maria Lopez Pinero, Ciencia y tecnica en la sociedad espanola de los siglos XVI y XVII, (Barcelona: Labor, 1979).
- Diccionario enciclopedico hispano-americano, 5.
- M. Fernandez de Navarrete, Disertacion sobre la historia de la nautica y de las mathematicas, (Madrid, 1846).
- L. Labarta, biographical introduction to Cortes, Breve compendio, (Zaragoza, 1941).
- D. W. Waters, The Art of Navigation in Elizabethan and Stuart Times, (New Haven, 1958).
- E. G. R. Taylor, The Haven-finding Art, (New York, 1956).
- The fact is that very little is known about this man except for his book.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.