Despagnet [Espagnet], Jean
- 1. Dates
- Born: 1564
- Died: 1637 or after
- Dateinfo: Death Uncertain
- Lifespan: 73
- 2. Father
- Occupation: Unknown
- We know only that he was not related to the parlementary family of the same name in Aix.
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: French
- Career: French
- Death: French
- 4. Education
- Schooling: No University
- This means only no information.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: He had to have been Catholic to hold the offices
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Alchemy, Occult Philosophy
- He acquired a great reputation as a hermetic philosopher and alchemist. His only extant alchemical works, the Arcanum Hermeticae philosophiae and the Enchiridion physicae restitutae, published in 1623, are classics of their kind.
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Government
- 1590, he became a lawyer in Bordeaux.
- 1592, Conseiller au Grand Conseil in Paris.
- 1601, named President of the Parlement of Bordeaux.
- Around 1609-12, he presided at the Chambre de l'Edit at Nerac after the mysterious death of his predecessor; he remained in office until 1615.
- 1620, honorary president (apparently of the Parlement of Bordeaux).
- 8. Patronage
- Type: None
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: None
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- Fermat visited him at Bordeaux in 1629.
- Dictionnaire de biographie Française, 12, 1491.
- John Ferguson, Bibliotheca chemica, 1, 248-50.
- A.E.Waite, The Secret Tradition in Alchemy, London, 1926, pp.39, 338, 341. QD13 .W145
- Not Available and Not Consulted
- Nouvelle biographie universelle, 15, (Paris 1854), pp.402-403.
- John S. Maxwell, Un magistrat hermétiste, (1896).
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.