Frenicle de Bessy, Bernard
- 1. Dates
- Born: France, 1605
- Died: Frence, 1675
- Dateinfo: Birth Uncertain
- Lifespan: 70
- 2. Father
- Occupation: No Information
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: France
- Career: France
- Death: France
- 4. Education
- Schooling: No University
- Perhaps better, no information.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Catholic (assumed)
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Mathematics
- Subordinate: Physics
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Government
- Held an official position as counselor at the Cour des Monnais.
- Later a member of the Académie.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Court Official
- 1666, he was appointed to the Académie by Louis XIV. I assume this wasn't on his own initiative.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Types: None
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Membership: Académie Royal des Sciences
- 1666, appointed to the Académie.
- Corresponded with Descartes, Fermat, Huygens, and Mersenne.
- Condorcet, Eloges des Académiciens de l'Académie Royale des Sciences. Mort depuis 1666, jusqu'en 1699 (Paris, 1773), 30- 35. [Q171.C746 1968]
- St. Le Tourneur, "Frenicle (Bernard)," Dictionnaire de Biographie Francaise, 14 (Paris, 1979), col. 1204. [ref. CT1003.D55 v. 14] Note: Even the Eloge has sparse information about him; it is mostly about his work.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.