Gerbezius, Marcus [Marko Gerbec]
- 1. Dates
- Born: St. Vid, near Sticna, Slovenia, 24 Oct 1658
- Died: Ljubljana, Slovenia, 9 Mar 1718
- Dateinfo: Dates Certain
- Lifespan: 60
- 2. Father
- Occupation: No Information
- Said to have been of modest means (which I translate as poor.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Slovene (which I list as Jugoslav)
- Career: Slovene
- Death: Slovene
- 4. Education
- Schooling: Vienna, Padua, Bologna, M.D., Ph.D.
- A government scholarship enabled him to study philosophy at Ljubljana, then medicine in Vienna, Padua, and Bologna. I assume B.A.
- MD and PhD Bologna 1684.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Catholic
6. Discipline: medicine, chemistry.
- In chemistry, he was concerned with fermentation.
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: None
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: 7. Support: Med, Government
- Was city physician in Krain, near Ljubljana and physician to some monasteries.
- Named chief physician of province of Carniola (in Slovenia).
- Became most sought-after practitioner in Ljubljana.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Unknown
- The scholarship from the government and those appointments were not gained without patronage.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Medical Practice
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Membership: Academia Leopoldina
- formal: 1688 admitted to Academia Leopoldina Naturae Curiosorum.
- 1701, founding member of Academia Operosorum in Ljubljana (president 1712 -1713).
- H. Tartalja, "Der slowenische Arzt Dr. Marko Gerbec als Vorgänger der Fermentationslehre," in Vorträge der Hauptversammulng der Internationalen Gesellschaft für Geschichte der Pharmazie (Rotterdam, 1963), (Stuttgart, 1965), pp 173 -180 Medicinska enciklopedija.
- Not Available and Not Consulted
- I. Pintar, "Dr. Marko Gerbec," Razprave. Slovenska akademija znanosti in umetnosti, classis IV, pars medica, 3 (1963), 1 - 40 -- contains a review of biographical literature.
- N. Flaxman, "The History of Heart-Block," Bulletin of the Institute of the History of Medicine, 5 (1937), 115-30.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.