- 1. Dates
- Born: apparently in France; date unknown
- Died: France, c. 1643
- Dateinfo: Flourished (two dates give known period)
- Lifespan: N/A
- 2. Father
- Occupation: No Information
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: French
- Career: French
- Death: French
- 4. Education
- Schooling: No University
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Unknown
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Mathematics
- His only published work of any consequence is the Cursus mathematicus, a six-volume compendium of elementary and intermediate mathematics in French and Latin.
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Schoolmastering
- Secondary: Government
- He spent most of his life in Paris as a teacher of mathematics. He also served on a number of official committees dealing with mathematical subjects, notably the one appointed by Richelieu in 1634 for determining longitude from the moon's motion.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Government Official
- This is the only reasonable interpretation of his membership on those committees.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Navigation
- His work on the longitude committee.
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- He was no doubt a full member of the community of French mathematicians of the first half of the seventeenth century.
- With the other members of his committee for determining longitude from the moon's motion, Etienne Pascal, Mydorge, Beaugrand, J.C. Boulenger, and L. de la Parte, he became embroiled in the ensuing controversy with Morin.
- B. Boncompagni's article in Bullettino di bibliografia e di storia delle sceinze matematiche e fisiche, 2 (1869), pp. 472- 6. QA871.M466.
- P. Tannery's article in Mémoires scientifiques, 10, (Paris, 1930), 287-9. Q113.T16. Poggendorf, 1, 1076-7.
- Not in Nouvelle biographie générale or Dictionnaire de biographie française.
- There is very little known about Herigone.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.