- 1. Dates
- Born: Gotha, mid 17th cent.
- Died: unknown
- Dateinfo: Flourished (two dates give known period)
- Lifespan: N/A
- 2. Father
- Occupation: Unknown
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Gotha, Germany
- Career: Nordhausen, Germany
- Death: unknown (Germany is so probable that I will list. it.)
- 4. Education
- Schooling: Helmstedt, M.D.
- He studied medicine in Helmstedt, receiving his M.D. in 1670 (or 1673). I assume the equivalent of a B.A.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Lutheran assumed.
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Surgery, Metallurgy
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Medicine, Patronage
- He worked in Nordhausen, signing himself "Practioner in the Imperial Free City of Nordhausen, and Body and Court Physician of Royal Prussia, Princely Saxony, and the County of Stolberg."
- 8. Patronage
- Types: Aristrocrat, Court Official, Scientist
- The second of his surgical dissertations is dedicated to Johann Langguth, a physician in the service of Duke Ernst of Saxony. It is possible that Langguth advanced Kellner in his work.
- A reference in his Schenkeldiener (1690) mentions that he wrote the book in 1683 when he was with Duke Heinrich, his prince and overlord, in Roemhild. The book itself is dedicated to Johann Scheib, the surgeon and barber of Gotha (the prince's city
of residence) whom Kellner calls his friend and patron.
- I am accepting his statement that he was personal physician to the ruler of Prussia.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Types: Medical Practice, Agriculture
- He wrote a work entitled Hochnutzbar und bewahrte edle Bierbraukunst, mit einem Anhang ueber Wein und Essig (Leipzig- Gotha, 1690; 2nd ed., Leipzig, Eisenach, 1710). I know nothing more about this book that its title.
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- Christian Gottlob Joecher, Allgemeines Gelehrten-Lexicon (Leipzig, 1750-1751; repr., Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1960), 2, 2059-60. Johann Christoph Adelung, Forsetzungen und Ergaenzungen zu Christian Gottlieb Joechers allgemeinem Gelehrten-Lexicon (Leip
zig, 1784-1897; repr. Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1960), 3, 187-8.
- A. Hirsch, Biographisches Lexikon der hervorragenden Aerzte aller Zeiten und Voelker (3rd ed., Munich, 1962), [ref. Z6658.B615 1962] 3, 499.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.