Khunrath [Kunrath, Kuhnrat[h], Cunradius, Conrathus], Conrad
- 1. Dates
- Born: Leipzig, date unknown
- Died: unknown place, not later than 1614
- Dateinfo: Flourished (two dates give known period)
- Lifespan: N/A
- 2. Father
- Occupation: Unknown
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Leipzig, Germany
- Career: Holstein, then part of Denmark
- Death: unknown
- 4. Education
- Schooling: Leipzig
- It is possible, but has not been proven, that he identical with a person of the same name and place of birth who enrolled at the University of Leipzig in the winter of 1562.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Lutheran (assumed)
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Medicine, Pharmacology, Iatrochemistry
- He was a follower of Paracelsus and attributed some cures to the influence of the planets, but I have seen few secondary sources that call him an alchemist and none that call him an iatrochemist (though it seems to be the only possible category for a Paracelsian).
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Medicine
- He lived in the duchy of Holstein (then Danish) for a number of years and at Schleswig (1594). I presume he practiced medicine.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: None
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Medical Practice
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- R.J. Forbes, A Short History of the Art of Distillation (Leiden, 1970), pp. 153, 158, 380. [Chem QD63.D6 F6] Hans Kango, Joachim Jungius Experimente und Gedanken zur Begruendung der Chemie als Wissenschaft; ein Beitrag zur Geistesgeschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts (Wiesbaden, 1968), p. 307. [QD14.K16]
- Christian Gottlob Joecher, Allgemeines Gelehrten-Lexicon (Leipzig, 1750-1751; repr., Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1960), 2, 2081.
- Johann Christoph Adelung, Forsetzungen und Ergaenzungen zu Christian Gottlieb Joechers allgemeinem Gelehrten-Lexicon (Leipzig, 1784-1897; repr. Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1960), 3, 312-13.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.