- 1. Dates
- Born: between 1599 and 1608
- Died: fl
- Dateinfo: Dates Certain
- 2. Father
- Occupation: No Information
- No information on financial status.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Bernburg, Anhalt, Germany
- Career: Germany
- Death: Bernburg, Anhalt, Germany
- 4. Education
- Schooling: Wittenberg
- 1575, admitted to University of Wittenberg, where he studied theology and mathematics (maybe under Praetorius). No degree is mentioned.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Lth: Lutheran (assumed)
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Astronomy
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Patronage
- ?-1577, presumed to have been employed by Joachim Ernst von Anhalt.
- 1577-90, worked as 'mathematicus' for Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse.
- 1590, after visiting Tycho Brahe in Hveen for one month, he returned to his home town where he occupied himself with theological controversies.
- 8. Patronage
- Types: Aristrocrat, Court Official
- He received a stipend from Joachim Ernst von Anhalt (1536- 1586) to write the manuscript "Christophori Rothmanni... astronomia," and is presumed to have been in his service when he visited Kassel to inspect the Landgrave's instruments in 1577.
- Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse, was his major patron for most of his career.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: None
- Rothmann seems not to have been adept at instrument making. Buergi was responsible for the fabrication of the Landgrave's instruments.
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- Connections: corresponded with Tycho Brahe.
- Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie, 29, (Leipzig, 1889), 370-2.
- [CT1053.A4 v.29]
- Rudolf Wolf, Geschichte der Astronomie, (Munich, 1877), 272-3.
- [Microprint Q111 L2 no.W102]
- Bruce Moran, "Christoph Rothmann, the Copernican Theory, and Institutional and Technical Influences on the Criticism of Aristotelean Cosmology," Sixteenth Century Journal, 13.3 (1982), 85-103. [D220.S62]
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.