- 1. Dates
- Born: Lauingen, Germany, 11 Nov 1569
- Died: Prague, 3 Apr 1611
- Dateinfo: Dates Certain
- Lifespan: 42
- 2. Father
- Occupation: Physician, Schoolmaster
- His father was Martin Ruland the elder (1532-1602; see Allgemeine deutsche Biographie, 29, 634-5, Hirsch, 4, 922), who was professor of Arzneiwissenschaft (medicine or pharacology) at the Gymnasium at Lauingen, and in the last years of his life became personal physician to Rudolf II and the Pfalzgraf Philipp Ludwig.
- Clearly properous.
- 3. Nationality
- Birth: Lauingen, Germany
- Career: Regensburg, Germany and Prague, Bohemia
- Death: Prague, Bohemia
- 4. Education
- Schooling: Basel, M.D.
- Received an M.D. from the University of Basel, 1587. I assume a B.A. or its equivalent.
- 5. Religion
- Affiliation: Catholic assumed
- 6. Scientific Disciplines
- Primary: Medicine, Iatrochemistry
- 7. Means of Support
- Primary: Medicine, Government, Patronage
- Nothing is known of Ruland until 1594, when he was city physician in Regensburg.
- 1607, he was appointed personal physician to Rudolf II in Prague.
- 8. Patronage
- Type: Court Official
- Emperor Rudolf II appointed him personal physician.
- 9. Technological Involvement
- Type: Medical Practice
- Ruland applied the principles of Paracelsan medicine in his treatment of patients.
- 10. Scientific Societies
- Memberships: None
- Pagel, Allgemeine deutsche Biographie, 29, 634-5.
- A. Hirsch, Biographisches Lexikon der hervorragenden Aerzte aller Zeiten und Voelker (3rd ed., Munich, 1962), 4, 922.
- Partington, 2, 161-2.
- Compiled by:
- Richard S. Westfall
- Department of History and Philosophy of Science
- Indiana University
Note: the creators of the Galileo Project and this catalogue
cannot answer email on geneological questions.